EXPLAINED: Pakistan Can Still Qualify Fot Semi-Finals, Here’s How.
T20 World Cup 2022: Zimbabwe on Thursday defeated Pakistan by one run in a T20 World Cup Super 12 clash at the Optus Stadium in Perth. After elected to bat first, Zimbabwe started brightly, but Pakistan made a strong comeback to restrict them to a total of 130/8. Pakistan after chasing a target of 131, Pakistan faltered as none of their batters, barring Shan Masood (44), could score above 22. Pakistan ultimately managed 129/8 in 20 overs. This was Pakistan’s second defeat in two games and their road to the semifinal has become difficult now.
How Pakistan can qualify for T20 World Cup semi-finals after bitter defeat to Zimbabwe
- Firstly of all, Pakistan needs to win all their remaining three matches.
- Secondly, the men in green must win all three matches by a big margin to maintain a healthy net run rate.
- Thirdly, they must hope that other results go their way- including South Africa losing to India and Pakistan.
- Zimbabwe losing their remaining two matches out of three (versus India, Netherlands, and Bangladesh)
- Further, they must hope that Bangladesh lose another game.
Here are the remaining fixtures in Group 2, Super 12 stage
- October 30 — Bangladesh vs Zimbabwe, Netherlands vs Pakistan and India vs South Africa
- November 2 — Zimbabwe vs Netherlands and India vs Bangladesh
- November 3 — Pakistan vs South Africa
- November 6 — South Africa vs Netherlands, Pakistan vs Bangladesh and India vs Zimbabwe.
And the game goes to Zimbabwe!
Who would have thought it? After two games, Zimbabwe are unbeaten and Pakistan have suffered two last ball reverses.
One wonders if Pakistan are suffering from a bit of battle fatigue having played so many T20 warm-up games prior to this event.
— Iceland Cricket (@icelandcricket) October 27, 2022
— Mohammad Hafeez (@MHafeez22) October 27, 2022
Average mindset, Average results. Thats the reality, face it. pic.twitter.com/plLZ11Qx0Y
— Shoaib Akhtar (@shoaib100mph) October 27, 2022
— Zimbabwe Cricket (@ZimCricketv) October 27, 2022